Thursday, July 2, 2009

PROOF OF PROPHETHOOD


So one of the angels said to his companion, ‘If he were to be weighed against the whole of mankind he would outweigh them.
From Abu Dharr al-Ghifaaree (a Companion of Muhammad - peace be upon him) who said, "O Messenger of Allah, how did you know that your were a Prophet when you were commissioned to be so? So he replied, 'O Abu Dharr! Two Angels came to me while I was in the plains of Mecca, one of them came to the earth while the other remained between the heaven and the earth. Then one of them said to his companion: 'is this he?' The other replied: 'yes'. The first said: 'weigh him against a person' so I was weighed against him and I outweighed him. Then he said, 'weigh him against ten people' so I was weighed against ten and I outweighed them. Then he said, 'weigh him against a hundred people' so I was weighed against them and I outweighed them. Then he said, 'weigh him against a thousand people' so I was weighed against them and I outweighed them and it was as if I was watching them (the people) floating about me due to their lightness on the scales. So one of the angels said to his companion, 'if he were to be weighed against the whole of mankind he would outweigh them'"

Notes: Reported by ad-Daarimee (1/9) and via his route ibn Asaakir reported it as stated in 'al-Bidaayah' (2/276) and al-Uqailee as stated in 'al-Meezaan' (1/190).

Al-Albaanee said: 'it's isnaad is good, all of it's narrators are trustworthy, precise and well-known. And there are some words (of criticism) said concerning Ja'far bin Uthmaan (one of it's narrators) - and he is ibn Abdullaah bin Uthmaan - that does not matter (here) insha'allaah, and he was declared to be trustworthy by Abu Haatim….and the hadeeth as a large number of witnesses (shawaahid)…." (Silisilah as-Saheehah no. 2529)

No comments:

Post a Comment